2. A short side track on a railroad, which may be occupied by one train while another is passing on a main track; a shunt; a siding; a switch.
3. That which is prominently brought forward or exhibited; hence, an equipage; as, a man with a showy carriage and horses is said to have a fine
4. The aggregate number of persons who have come out, as from their houses, for a special purpose; the number in attendance at a gathering; as, a light
turnout for the election.
[1913 Webster +PJC]
5. Net quantity of produce yielded.
6. A space alongside a highway where vehicles may stop, esp. for emergency purposes, or to admire the view.
New - Add Dictionary Search to Your Site
You can add a free dictionary search box to your own web site by copying and pasting the following HTML into one of your web pages:
<form action="http://www.freedict.co.uk/search.php" method="post"> <p style="text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif;"> <a style="font-weight: bold;" href="http://www.freedict.co.uk/" title="FreeDict free online dictionary">FreeDict</a> <input type="text" name="word" size="20" value="" /> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search Dictionary" /> </p> </form>
Tue 18th December 2018