(?), n. [Probably fr. L. transtrum a crossbeam, transom, from trans across. Cf. Trestle.] 1. (Arch.) A horizontal crossbar in a window, over a door, or between a door and a window above it. Transom is the horizontal, as mullion is the vertical, bar across an opening. See Illust. of Mullion.
[1913 Webster]

2. (Naut.) One of the principal transverse timbers of the stern, bolted to the sternpost and giving shape to the stern structure; -- called also transsummer.
[1913 Webster]

3. (Gun.) The piece of wood or iron connecting the cheeks of some gun carriages.
[1913 Webster]

4. (Surg.) The vane of a cross-staff. Chambers.
[1913 Webster]

5. (Railroad) One of the crossbeams connecting the side frames of a truck with each other.
[1913 Webster]

Transom knees (Shipbuilding), knees bolted to the transoms and after timbers. -- Transom window. (Arch.) (a) A window divided horizontally by a transom or transoms. (b) A window over a door, with a transom between.
[1913 Webster]


New - Add Dictionary Search to Your Site

You can add a free dictionary search box to your own web site by copying and pasting the following HTML into one of your web pages:

<form action="" method="post">
 <p style="text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif;">
  <a style="font-weight: bold;" href=""
     title="FreeDict free online dictionary">FreeDict</a>
  <input type="text" name="word" size="20" value="" />
  <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search Dictionary" />


a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

Mon 11th November 2019