Re*view", n. [F. revue, fr. revu, p. p. of revoir to see again, L. revidere; pref. re- re- + videre to see. See View, and cf. Revise.] 1. A second or repeated view; a rexamination; a retrospective survey; a looking over again; as, a review of one's studies; a review of life.
2. An examination with a view to amendment or improvement; revision; as, an author's
review of his works.
3. A critical examination of a publication, with remarks; a criticism; a critique.
4. A periodical containing critical essays upon matters of interest, as new productions in literature, art, etc.
5. An inspection, as of troops under arms or of a naval force, by a high officer, for the purpose of ascertaining the state of discipline, equipments, etc.
(Law) The judicial examination of the proceedings of a lower court by a higher.
7. A lesson studied or recited for a second time.
Bill of review
(Equity), a bill, in the nature of proceedings in error, filed to procure an examination and alteration or reversal of a final decree which has been duly signed and enrolled.
Commission of review
(Eng. Eccl. Law), a commission formerly granted by the crown to revise the sentence of the court of delegates.
Syn. -- Rexamination; resurvey; retrospect; survey; reconsideration; revisal; revise; revision.
New - Add Dictionary Search to Your Site
You can add a free dictionary search box to your own web site by copying and pasting the following HTML into one of your web pages:
<form action="http://www.freedict.co.uk/search.php" method="post"> <p style="text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif;"> <a style="font-weight: bold;" href="http://www.freedict.co.uk/" title="FreeDict free online dictionary">FreeDict</a> <input type="text" name="word" size="20" value="" /> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search Dictionary" /> </p> </form>
Thu 17th October 2019