Im*pe"ri*al, n. [F. impriale: cf. Sp. imperial.]
1. The tuft of hair on a man's lower lip and chin; -- so called from the style of beard of Napoleon III.
2. An outside seat on a diligence.
3. A luggage case on the top of a coach.
4. Anything of unusual size or excellence, as a large decanter, a kind of large photograph, a large sheet of drawing, printing, or writing paper, etc.
5. A gold coin of Russia worth ten rubles, or about eight dollars.
6. A kind of fine cloth brought into England from Greece. or other Eastern countries, in the Middle Ages.
7. A game at cards differing from piquet in some minor details, and in having a trump; also, any one of several combinations of cards which score in this game.
[Webster 1913 Suppl.]
New - Add Dictionary Search to Your Site
You can add a free dictionary search box to your own web site by copying and pasting the following HTML into one of your web pages:
<form action="http://www.freedict.co.uk/search.php" method="post"> <p style="text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif;"> <a style="font-weight: bold;" href="http://www.freedict.co.uk/" title="FreeDict free online dictionary">FreeDict</a> <input type="text" name="word" size="20" value="" /> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search Dictionary" /> </p> </form>
Mon 21st October 2019