Gouge(?), n. [F. gouge. LL. gubia, guvia, gulbia, gulvia, gulvium; cf. Bisc. gubia bow, gubioa throat.]
1. A chisel, with a hollow or semicylindrical blade, for scooping or cutting holes, channels, or grooves, in wood, stone, etc.; a similar instrument, with curved edge, for turning wood.
2. A bookbinder's tool for blind tooling or gilding, having a face which forms a curve.
3. An incising tool which cuts forms or blanks for gloves, envelopes, etc. from leather, paper, etc.
(Mining) Soft material lying between the wall of a vein and the solid vein.
5. The act of scooping out with a gouge, or as with a gouge; a groove or cavity scooped out, as with a gouge.
6. Imposition; cheat; fraud; also, an impostor; a cheat; a trickish person.
[Slang, U. S.]
Gouge bit, a boring bit, shaped like a gouge.
New - Add Dictionary Search to Your Site
You can add a free dictionary search box to your own web site by copying and pasting the following HTML into one of your web pages:
<form action="http://www.freedict.co.uk/search.php" method="post"> <p style="text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif;"> <a style="font-weight: bold;" href="http://www.freedict.co.uk/" title="FreeDict free online dictionary">FreeDict</a> <input type="text" name="word" size="20" value="" /> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search Dictionary" /> </p> </form>
Wed 19th December 2018