Di*van"(?), n. [Per. dwn a book of many leaves, an account book, a collection of books, a senate, council: cf. Ar. daiwn, F. divan.] 1. A book; esp., a collection of poems written by one author; as, the divan of Hafiz. [Persia]
2. In Turkey and other Oriental countries: A council of state; a royal court. Also used by the poets for a grand deliberative council or assembly.
3. A chief officer of state.
4. A saloon or hall where a council is held, in Oriental countries, the state reception room in places, and in the houses of the richer citizens. Cushions on the floor or on benches are ranged round the room.
5. A cushioned seat, or a large, low sofa or couch; especially, one fixed to its place, and not movable.
6. A coffee and smoking saloon.
New - Add Dictionary Search to Your Site
You can add a free dictionary search box to your own web site by copying and pasting the following HTML into one of your web pages:
<form action="http://www.freedict.co.uk/search.php" method="post"> <p style="text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif;"> <a style="font-weight: bold;" href="http://www.freedict.co.uk/" title="FreeDict free online dictionary">FreeDict</a> <input type="text" name="word" size="20" value="" /> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search Dictionary" /> </p> </form>
Mon 21st October 2019