What choice to choose for delicacy best.Milton.
2. Nicety or fineness of form, texture, or constitution; softness; elegance; smoothness; tenderness; and hence, frailty or weakness; as, the
delicacy of a fiber or a thread;
delicacy of a hand or of the human form;
delicacy of the skin;
delicacy of frame.
3. Nice propriety of manners or conduct; susceptibility or tenderness of feeling; refinement; fastidiousness; and hence, in an exaggerated sense, effeminacy; as, great
delicacy of behavior;
delicacy in doing a kindness;
delicacy of character that unfits for earnest action.
You know your mother's delicacy in this point.Cowper.
4. Addiction to pleasure; luxury; daintiness; indulgence; luxurious or voluptuous treatment.
And to those dainty limbs which Nature lentMilton.
For gentle usage and soft delicacy?
5. Nice and refined perception and discrimination; critical niceness; fastidious accuracy.
That Augustan delicacy of taste which is the boast of the great public schools of England.Macaulay.
6. The state of being affected by slight causes; sensitiveness; as, the
delicacy of a chemist's balance.
7. That which is alluring, delicate, or refined; a luxury or pleasure; something pleasant to the senses, especially to the sense of taste; a dainty; as,
delicacies of the table.
The merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.Rev. xviii. 3.
8. Pleasure; gratification; delight.
He Rome brent for his delicacie.Chaucer.
Syn. -- See Dainty.
New - Add Dictionary Search to Your Site
You can add a free dictionary search box to your own web site by copying and pasting the following HTML into one of your web pages:
<form action="http://www.freedict.co.uk/search.php" method="post"> <p style="text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif;"> <a style="font-weight: bold;" href="http://www.freedict.co.uk/" title="FreeDict free online dictionary">FreeDict</a> <input type="text" name="word" size="20" value="" /> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search Dictionary" /> </p> </form>
Mon 17th December 2018